Roof leaks can be caused by missing shingles, gaps in the metal flashing around chimneys and vent pipes, or small holes in the roofing. The source of a leak often isn’t obvious on the roof itself, and it can be hard to pinpoint, since the water may run down the roof decking and rafters before dripping onto the ceiling below.
To locate a hard to find roof leak:
1. Go in the attic with a flashlight, during or shortly after a heavy rain, being careful not to step through the ceiling. In the absence of rain, use a garden hose to thoroughly wet down the roof to create a manmade leak.
2. Examine the roof decking and rafters in the attic above the spot where the ceiling is wet.
3. Follow any water stains or wet spots up the rafters or roof decking to their highest point.
4. Measure down from the roof peak to the highest point of the leak and over from a gable end to the leak.
5. When the roof is dry, go on the roof, and transfer the measurements to the roof, allowing for any overhang on the end of the roof.*
6. Examine the roofing closely for signs of the leak at the location you measured.
7 .If you can’t see the source of the leak, continue to look higher up on the roof, since water can run down behind the shingles before emerging in the attic decking or rafters.
*NOTE: Take all the necessary safety precautions when positioning your ladder and climbing on a roof, and do not attempt to go up on a steep roof.
8. If the leak continues then I suggest you call a professional to get the problem resolved.
Were on top when it comes to roofing replacement and repairs!
Our team has more than 60 years of combined experience, offering only the best materials and workmanship to our customers in Northeast Ohio. Whether your roof is leaking and causing you problems or you’re in need of an energy-efficient or aesthetic update, our team can handle it. We offer top quality materials and workmanship at affordable prices. Arnold’s Roofing Company can’t be beat!